The graphical abstract is one single-panel, horizontal (landscape orientation) rectangular image that is designed to give readers an immediate understanding of the take-home message of the paper. It should be simple, but informative.
Technical requirements are as follows:
- Size: 858 × 229 pixels (X-Y axes) at 400 dpi.
- Font style: Arial
- Font size: 10-16
- Accepted file type: PNG, JPG
- Content: the abstract should summarise the findings of the manuscript
- Colours: Effective use of colour is encouraged for increasing the aesthetic quality of the graphical abstracts and directing the reader's attention to focal points of interest
- The graphical abstracts should be drawn within a box of the indicated size (858 × 229 pixels)
The graphical abstract should:
- Have a clear start and end, "reading" from left to right
- Emphasise the take-home message of the paper
- Not include data items of any type; all the content should be in a graphical form
- Use simple labels
- The use of text should be limited